International Standard Name Identifier (ISO 27729)
ISNI is the ISO certified global standard number for identifying the millions of contributors to creative works and those active in their distribution, including researchers, inventors, writers, artists, visual creators, performers, producers, publishers, aggregators, and more. It is part of a family of international standard identifiers that includes identifiers of works, recordings, products and right holders in all repertoires, e.g. DOI, ISAN, ISBN, ISRC, ISSN, ISTC, and ISWC.
The mission of the ISNI International Authority (ISNI-IA) is to assign to the public name(s) of a researcher, inventor, writer, artist, performer, publisher, etc. a persistent unique identifying number in order to resolve the problem of name ambiguity in search and discovery; and diffuse each assigned ISNI across all repertoires in the global supply chain so that every published work can be unambiguously attributed to its creator wherever that work is described.
By achieving these goals the ISNI will act as a bridge identifier across multiple domains and become a critical component in Linked Data and Semantic Web applications.
- ISNI holds public records of over 9.26 million identities, including:
- 8.67 million individuals (of which 2.59 million are researchers)
- 592,276 organisations
- The ISNI database is a cross-domain resource with direct contributions from 40 sources, including the Virtual International Authority File (VIAF), an aggregation of data from major national and research libraries.
- ISNIs now in EThOS - 2015-08-03
- Putting the brakes on confusion
- When will Socrates be picking up his photocopying royalties?
- Member Story: La Trobe University - 2015-02-23
- ISNI In the Music Industry
- Peak Global Researcher Identifier Group welcomes La Trobe University as a member and Data Contributor - 2015-02-11
- Why a Collective Management Organization needs ISNI – a case study - 2014-07-18
- New ISNI Presentation - 2014-04-11
- BnF: First National Library In the World to Become an ISNI Registration Agency - 2014-02-26
- ISNI and ORCID sign Memo of Understanding - 2014-01